June 20, 2004

Another deadline wooshes by

The deadline for the 2nd Jews sans frontieres £10 challenge passed with one good attempt, by "anonymous" but, again no takers. The Guardian's. readers' editor didn't even try this time; unlike last time. What happened here was a letter purporting to come from a Mark Cohen and signed off "by email" criticised, in my view unjustly, an article by Stephen Rose which promoted the academic boycott of Israel. The Guardian. usually insists on an address and phone number from correspondents, not simply "by email". The £10 challenge was to find criticism of Israel coming in "by email". As I said an "anonymous" had a go but this was a letter from some high profile Jews criticising Israeli war crimes in Rafah and calling for support for the victims. I didn't think it was the same as a letter from a possibly bogus, that is non-existent, source. But I couldn't pay out because of the anonymity of the entrant. More £10 challenges to come. I might do one that actually leaves me exposed to losing a tenner next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment