January 10, 2005

Al Jazeera pulls cartoons under US pressure

I wanted to blog the Jewish Press site tonight because someone called Flutie54 sent me an interesting article from there. But the site's down for some reason. Curiously, Little Green Footballs is also down. I found that out from LGF Watch. Quite a useful blog for those who want to know what they are are saying but don't want to cut through acres of inane comments from, what seems to be, a bunch of racist adolescents.

Anyway, where was I? Ah yes, Al-Jazeera. They ran two slightly animated cartoons on their website. The first showed the World Trade Centre's twin towers being destroyed only to rise again as two petrol (that's gasoline) pumps marked IRAQ. The second shows Latinos going for their green cards into a subway and when they come out the other side they are US soldiers being killed in Iraq. Pretty poignant stuff but the fact that Al Jazeera pulled them under US orders won't do much for their reputation. The journalist covering the story, in my link anyway, is John R.Bradley who I know nothing about.

No comments:

Post a Comment