February 20, 2013

Palestinian Oscar Nominee detained at LAX

Got this from the facebook page of Miko Peled:
Unbelievable? Naah, totally believable, but still unforgivable and inexcusable! From Michael Moore (on Twitter): Emad Burnat, Palestinian director of Oscar nominated "5 Broken Cameras" was held tonight by immigration at LAX as he landed to attend Oscars. Emad, his wife & 8-yr old son were placed in a holding area and told they didn't have the proper invitation on them to attend the Oscars. Although he produced the Oscar invite nominees receive, that wasn't good enough & he was threatened with being sent back to Palestine. Apparently the Immigration & Customs officers couldn't understand how a Palestinian could be an Oscar nominee. Emad texted me for help. I called Academy officials who called lawyers. I told Emad to give the officers my phone # and to say my name a couple of times. After 1.5 hrs, they decided to release him & his family & told him he could stay in LA for the week & go to the Oscars. Welcome to America. "It's nothing I'm not already used to," he told me later. "When you live under occupation, with no rights, this is a daily occurrence."
Michael Moore on Twitter is @MMFlint.

No comments:

Post a Comment