October 06, 2008

Unarmed Palestinian fishermen attack Israeli navy again

Fortunately, as can be seen in this video, the navy was able to defend itself with live ammo, shells, and a high-powered water cannon:



According to the Chinese news agency Xinhua on Oct. 5, one fisherman was shot in the leg. Interestingly, Xinhua has put the article in their sports section. Perhaps they're taking their cue from former New York Times bureau chief Chris Hedges, who in an interview with NPR on Oct 30, 2001 noted the sportsmanlike conduct of Israeli forces in Gaza:

And it was--I mean, I've seen kids shot in Sarajevo. I mean, snipers would shoot kids in Sarajevo. I've seen death squads kill families in Algeria or El Salvador. But I'd never seen soldiers bait or taunt kids like this and then shoot them for sport. It was--I just--even now, I find it almost inconceivable. And I went back every day, and every day it was the same.


UPDATE: ISM Rafah has the story behind the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment